Spouse contributions

If your spouse has taken time out from work, it may be beneficial to contribute to their super account on their behalf.

A spouse contribution helps grow their retirement savings and you may benefit from tax savings.

Tax offset for spouse contributions

You may be entitled to a tax offset if your spouse doesn’t work or earns $37,000 or less a year.

There are other conditions you need to satisfy to receive the offset. Visit the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) for more information.

Make a spouse contribution to a UniSuper account

To receive a spouse contribution to their UniSuper account, your spouse must be aged under 75.  If they are aged between 67 and 74 years, they’ll need to satisfy the work test or the work test exemption

If your spouse isn’t a UniSuper member, they may be eligible to open a Personal Account.


Your partner can log in to their account and go to 'Contributing to super' under the 'Manage account' section to find their BPAY details.


  1. Complete the Spouse contribution form
  2. Make out a cheque to UniSuper Limited, with their UniSuper membership number on the opposite side. 
  3. Mail the form and cheque to:

    Level 1, 385 Bourke Street
    Melbourne VIC 3000

Get advice

UniSuper Advice can help you and your spouse boost your joint retirement savings. Talk to UniSuper Advice on 1800 823 842 to help you and your spouse decide a contributions strategy for you.

More information

To find out more about spouse contributions, call us on 1800 331 685.