Who can start a pension

You may be able to start a pension if you’ve reached a certain age and have met the requirements.

Starting a pension

You can start a UniSuper pension if:

  • you’ve reached your preservation age,
  • you’re 60 or over and have ceased employment, or
  • you’re 65, even if you’re working.

The government sets the age at which you can access your super (generally upon permanent retirement from the workforce), and this is known as your preservation age.

Your preservation age depends on the year you were born, as shown in the table:

Before 1 July 1960
1 July 1960 - 30 June 1961
1 July 1961 - 30 June 1962
1 July 1962 - 30 June 1963
1 July 1963 - 30 June 1964
1 July 1964 or after

If you're a temporary resident you can only open a pension in very limited circumstances.

Transition to retirement

If you’ve reached your preservation age and are under 65, you may be able to open a pension under the government’s transition to retirement rules.

Find out how a transition to retirement strategy can help you ease into retirement with our Transition to retirement calculator

Need help?

Call us on 1800 331 685 if you have any questions, or contact UniSuper Advice on 1800  823 842 to find out how they can help you.