Save for retirement together

If your partner has or will take time out of the workforce, perhaps to raise a family or other circumstance, then their super balance could be impacted. Help keep their super balance looking healthy, with spouse contributions.* There could be benefits for you both now and in the future.

There are 2 ways to do this:

  1. Make an after-tax contribution into their super.
  2. Split your super contributions.

After-tax spouse super contributions

Make an after-tax, spouse super contribution into your partner’s account, or vice versa.

You’ll need your partner’s account details to pay into their super. If they’re with UniSuper, you can pay with BPAY® or by cheque.


They can log in to their account to find their BPAY details.


If you prefer to fill in a form, complete the Spouse contribution form (PDF, 102 KB) and return it to us with your cheque.

The usual rules for after-tax contributions apply.

Tax offset for spouse super contributions

A tax offset of up to $540 each financial year is available on eligible spouse super contributions. You can claim this offset when you do your tax return.

Generally, to be eligible for the tax offset:

  • your partner must earn less than $40,000
  • you must live together in Australia.

Other eligibility requirements may apply. For more information, visit the ATO website.

Contributions splitting

You may be eligible to pay up to 85% of your before-tax contributions into your partner’s super fund account instead of yours.

To do this, your partner must be aged under 65 or under their preservation age. If they’re over their preservation age but under age 65 they must not be permanently retired.


To split your contributions, complete the Contribution splitting form (PDF, 185 KB) and return it to us.

Eligible before-tax contributions include:

  • employer contributions
  • salary sacrifice contributions
  • contributions for which you’ve claimed a tax deduction.

Why share super with your partner?


They could be able to access their super earlier


They could qualify for a higher government age pension


It could maximise the amount of super you both transfer into retirement

If you have any questions about contributing to your partner’s super, please call 1800 331 685 or contact us.
Cookies help us improve your website experience.
By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies.